AT least 32 families were rendered homeless after a fire caused by a lit candle hit a residential area in Taytay, Rizal early Saturday.
No one was reported hurt from the blaze.
It took two hours for local firefighters to put out the fire that gutted a row of houses in a residential area along Ortigas Avenue Extension in Barangay Dolores, Taytay, Rizal at around 4:30a.m. The incident caused heavy traffic along that major thoroughfare that links Rizal province and Metro Manila.
Immediately after the incident, Taytay local government deployed municipal social welfare and development office personnel. They distributed food packs, blankets, bed mats, bottled water and food packs from a popular fast-food chain for the meals of the fire victims and their families.
Mayor Joric Gacula likewise directed an inventory of the families who were rendered homeless by the fire in order to determine other forms of assistance that the local government may provide.