COVID-19 alert level raised in Quezon City

THE local government of Quezon City raised its COVID-19 early warning level to yellow status after an average of 26 cases per day were recorded in the city this week.

The QC Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Unit (QCESU) said that aside from the spike in average daily cases, the average positivity rate doubled to 3.10 percent from 1.50 percent on the week of May 27 to June 2 and the forecasted reproduction number climbed to 3.4 percent from 1.1 percent last week.

These two indicators were observed as of June 9.

QCESU chief Dr. Rolando Cruz said there is a possibility that COVID-19 cases will spike further within the next two weeks under the current yellow status.

Cruz emphasized, however, that this locally developed monitoring system is used for internal reporting only and should not be confused with the official alert level issued by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases or IATF.

Our local early warning system is helpful in assessing the pandemic within our city only. It aids our department as well as our city officials in the systematic monitoring of new cases, analysis of trends, and recommendation of strategic measures to prevent the further spread of infections. Official alert level announcements and general guidelines will still come from the IATF,” said Cruz.

At present, the IATF has placed Quezon City under Alert Level 1 and is classified as low-risk by the Department of Health (DOH).

Meanwhile, Mayor Joy Belmonte reminded citizens to continue observing preventive measures such as wearing of masks as well as getting vaccinated and boosted.

We have come a long way but the virus is still with us. Again, we call on our residents to remain vigilant,” said Belmonte.

She also called on those who have yet to get their COVID-19 vaccine or booster shot to do so by visiting the nearest barangay health center or by registering online via https://qceservices.quezoncity.gov.ph/qcvaxeasy.

Last April, the city government rolled out the second booster of COVID-19 vaccine for immunocompromised adults, senior citizens, and frontline health workers.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.