METRO Manila will have a full week to brace itself for another hard lockdown
Malacanang announced that the entire National Capital Region (NCR) will be under the most stringent lockdown classification — Enhanced Community Quarantine — from August 6 until August 20.
According to Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, the decision to lock down Metro Manila was “painful” but necessary due to the Delta variant of COVID-19.
Also, starting today, July 30, Metro Manila will return to lockdown mode — General Community Quarantine (GCQ) with a period of additional restrictions the week before, to prepare for a possible surge in COVID-19 cases due to the Delta variant.
Roque pointed out that the heightened restrictions for NCR are more stringent compared to the GCQ with heightened restrictions of other areas.
The schedule of new restrictions is as follows:
- General Community Quarantine (GCQ) with heightened and additional restrictions – July 30 to August 5
- Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) – August 6 to 20
The stricter GCQ period triggers the following additional restrictions:
- Dining in restaurants is prohibited, only take-out and delivery allowed
- Only 30 percent capacity in personal care services establishments allowed
- Only Authorized Persons Outside their Residences (APOR) can travel out of NCR Plus (Metro Manila plus Cavite, Rizal, Bulacan, Laguna)
- Indoor sports venues and indoor tourist attractions must close
- Only 30 percent capacity in outdoor tourism attractions allowed
- Physical religious gatherings not allowed, virtual only
- Wakes, funerals, necrological services allowed, only for immediate family members
- Public transportation allowed
In a televised announcement, Roque said the government is compelled to make such a decision in the wake of a more transmissible nature of the feared Delta variant. Local transmission of the variant was confirmed last July 22.
To date, the Department of Health has recorded 216 confirmed COVID-19 Delta variant cases in the country.
As to other places’ quarantine classifications, Roque said Gingoog City, Iloilo City, Iloilo Province, and Cagayan de Oro City shall remain under ECQ starting August 1 until August 7, 2021.
Cebu City and Cebu Province have been added to areas under Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) starting August 1 until August 15, 2021, subject to further appeals by their local government units, he said.
For Luzon, Ilocos Norte and Bataan; and for the Visayas, Mandaue City and Lapu-Lapu City are under MECQ from August 1 until August 15, 2021, Roque added.
Placed under GCQ with heightened restrictions from August 1 to August 15, 2021 are
- Ilocos Sur. Cagayan. Bulacan. Cavite, Rizal, Laguna, Lucena City (Region 4-A), and Naga City for Luzon
- Antique, Aklan. Bacolod City and Capiz in Region 6
- Negros Oriental for Visayas
- Zamboanga del Sur, Misamis Oriental, Davao City, Davao del Norte, Davao Occidental and Davao de Oro in Region 11
- Butuan City for Mindanao
On the other hand, the following areas are placed under GCQ from August 1 to August 31, 2021:
- Baguio City and Apayao in the Cordillera Administrative Region, Santiago City, Quirino, Isabela and Nueva Vizcaya in Region 2
- Batangas and Quezon in Region 4-A and Puerto Princesa for Luzon
- Guimaras and Negros Occidental in Region 6
- Zamboanga Sibugay, Zamboanga City and Zamboanga del Norte in Region 9
- Davao Oriental and Davao del Sur in Region 11
- General Santos City, Sultan Kudarat, Sarangani, North Cotabato and South Cotabato in Region 12
- Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Surigao del Norte, Surigao del Sur and Dinagat Islands in CARAGA and Cotabato City in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM)
All other areas are placed under Modified General Community Quarantine (MGCQ) classification from August 1 to August 31, 2021.