THE Commission on Elections (Comelec), sitting en banc as the National Board of Canvassers (NBOC), proclaimed today the 12 winning senatorial candidates who ran during the May 9, 2022 national and local elections.
Based on NBOC Resolution No. 002-22, the new Senators-elect, ranked 1st to 12th, are:
- Robinhood Padilla – 26,612,434 votes
- Lorna Regina Legarda – 24,264,969
- Raffy Tulfo – 23,396,954
- Sherwin Gatchalian – 20,602,655
- Francis Joseph Escudero – 20,271,458
- Mark Villar – 19,475,592
- Alan Peter Cayetano – 19,295,314
- Juan Miguel Zubiri – 18,734,336
- Emmanuel Joel Villanueva – 18,486,034
- Joseph Victor Ejercito – 15,841,858
- Ana Theresia Hontiveros – 15,420,807
- Jinggoy Estrada – 15,108,625
The winning senators were proclaimed upon the recommendation of the Supervisory Committee, which was approved by the NBOC in open session. The rankings were based on the election results from the 172 out of 173 Certificates of Canvass (COCs) canvassed by the NBOC. The resolution stated that the proclamation proceeded considering that the election results in Shanghai, China and in Lanao del Sur will no longer affect the rankings of the winning legislators.
Comelec Chairman Saidamen Pangarungan, in his speech before the proclamation of the winning senators, said that the poll body “has successfully defended the sovereign right of the people to the democratic process of elections.”
He likewise paid tribute to the voters who stood patiently in line to cast their votes in an election that also recorded the lowest number of election-related violence with 16 compared to past elections.