PHILIPPINE vaccine czar Carlito Galvez said COVID-19 vaccines from AztraZeneza are being considered to be allocated for senior citizen healthcare workers.
In a radio interview, Galvez said the emergency use authorization for AstraZeneca includes people 19 years old and above — “Iu-augment po natin dahil kasi ‘yung 60 and above hindi po natin nabakunahan. Ang recommendation po namin sa ating mga vaccine expert ay i-consider na ito ‘yung mga primary vaccine para po sa 60 years and above…Yung senior healthcare workers po ito,” Galvez said.
However, there seems to be some sort of miscommunication because another top government official said that the government still has no definite plan on the rollout of some 500,000 AstraZeneca doses expected to arrive in the country tonight.
Earlier in the day, Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles, in a press briefing, said that there is no rollout date yet for the 487,200 doses of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 doses expected to be delivered to the Philippines on Thursday night.
“We are waiting for the advice of the NITAG (National Immunization Technical Advisory Group) kung saan gagamitin ang AstraZeneca vaccine, kung puwede sa senior citizens na health workers,” Nograles said in a televised press briefing.
Some 600,000 Sinovac vaccines donated by the Chinese government that arrived in the country is best for clinically healthy individuals aged 18 to 59 only.
To date, Sinovac jabs has remained the only available vaccine in the country and as such is the only brand being used by the government in its vaccination program, which started March 1.
Under NITAG recommendation, health workers and employees in health care facilities are the first in line to get a COVID-19 vaccine, followed by indigent senior citizens.