She may be known for her countless villain roles both on the big screen and on television. Her numerous roles as the main anti-hero, coupled with her scowl and menacing looks and believable performances, tended other people to think that she carries her on-screen persona to her private life.
But on the contrary, the 36-year award-winning acting veteran, and 43-year-old mother of three and husband to fellow actor Christopher Sommereux, is as gentle as a budding rose. She is also a part of a growing circle of “mompreneurs” — mothers who have successfully balanced family life with running a business.
The couple run a food and catering business and Gladys also conducts an acting workshop for aspiring actors on the side. Aside from that, she is also into hosting gigs, the latest of which was an online press conference of Orabella, a skincare and direct-selling business that promotes beautiful skin while providing earning opportunities for many Filipinos.
This is a timely endeavor for those who may want to earn extra, or for those who want earn after losing their jobs because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Also present during the virtual press conference were Arabella del Rosario, Orabella’s skincare brand ambassador; Anne Acuña, Orabella Marketing Manager, and Aina Tejada, an Orabella user then became a reseller and now an Orabella distributor.
Gladys “gladly” shared her insights and tips to FrontpagePH.com and to the other media attendees on how to become a successful Mompreneur.
- Study the business you are entering. “Mas maganda kung ang papasukin mong negosyo ay passion mo (It would be better if you are passionate about the business that you are getting into),” she advised. Additionally, study the ins and outs of the business and be knowledgeable about the products and services you are offering. Learn more about the aspects of marketing, sales, accounting, and customer service as well.
- It takes guts to start a business. “Hindi pwede sa negosyo na konting failure, susuko na agad (It’s a no-no in business to easily give up when you experience failure),” Gladys advised. As a mompreneur, she said never to let obstacles overwhelm. Remember that challenges come with running a business.
- Set realistic goals and timetables. “Sa ano mang gawain, dapat magkaroon ng specific objectives (In whatever you do, it is important to have specific objectives),” Gladys said. “If you’re into sales, set a sales target every month. It is also advisable to have a time frame for your return on investment.”
- Find people who will support you. Having a support system, she said, is important, especially during times of feeling down and discouraged because the support system are the ones who will help provide the necessary morale boost. “Your support system can be your husband, friend, or neighbor, as long as they are someone you can trust.”
- Believe in yourself and use what you’ve learned in being a mom in running your business. Being a mom is a good preparation for running a business, according to Gladys, as mothers will do everything to give their children a good future.
In the same press conference, Orabella user-turned-reseller and distributor Tejada shared her experience in becoming an entrepreneur.
“Nagsimula po ako sa pagiging user ng Orabella. Nagustuhan ko ‘yung products, kaya naging reseller ako. Sa una po mahirap kasi nagpapakilala pa lang po si Orabella. Pero nung marami na pong nag-try at nagkaroon ng good feedback na nagandahan sila, dumami po ‘yung mga orders ko at na-meet ko po ‘yung pagiging distributor (I started as a user of Orabella. I really liked their products, so I became a reseller. I found selling difficult at first because Orabella was just being introduced that time. But when a lot of people tried it and had very good feedback, I had a lot of orders that I was able to meet the requirements of being a distributor,” she said.
As for Acuña, being an Orabella reseller or distributor is easy. “Their membership package retails at only P599, which includes two sets of products for selling, a paper bag, and a door banner where you can place your contact details.“
The event also served as a venue for Orabella to introduce its latest whitening line. Together with its brand ambassador Del Rosario, the company unveiled its NanoCare Body whitening range. It includes a whitening soap, white feminine wash, whitening hand and body lotion, whitening toning gel, and a whitening deodorant–all made using Orabella’s NanoCare technology
“When you’re using products with NanoCare particles, it really penetrates your skin. It protects it, instantly whitens, and moisturizes,” Acuña said.
She pointed out that “whitening” for Orabella means making your skin glow to its full potential. All Orabella products are also gentle and are safe to be used by pregnant women and teenagers who are starting to experience skin problems.
To learn more about Orabella’s latest products and promotions, visit their official social media accounts. Orabella products are available through its distributors and stores on Shopee and Lazada. Just type Orabella Direct Selling, Inc. to search for it on Lazada. Type Orabella PH to search for it on Shopee.
Visit orabella.com.ph for more product information or how to be part of its direct-selling business.