Bataan hospital gets German grant

Share this information:

MAIN PHOTO: German Ambassador to the Philippines Anke Reiffenstuel (left) and Bataan Governor Albert Garcia

A hospital in Bataan became the latest recipient in the Philippines of a German grant to make it “flood-proof.”

The Jose C. Payumo Memorial District Hospital (JCPMDH) in Dinalupihan, Bataan will be the second hospital in the country to receive the grant from the German government.

The grant is in cooperation with Flood Control Asia RS Corporation, a Filipino=German owned flood protection company based in Clark Freeport Zone in Pampanga.

The Philippine General Hospital (PGH) was the first to receive the grant for the flood-control project, which was officially launched on December 2020.

The JCPMDH, located in Brgy. San Ramon in Dinalupihan town, is a 70-bed hospital designated for COVID-19 treatment. It has also been recently designated as an HIV- treatment facility.

Dr. Andreas “Andi” Klippe, President and Chief Executive Officer of Flood Control Asia, who is also a German engineer and a long-time resident of the Philippines, said the grant is part of a donation package intended to protect two COVID-19 referral hospitals from flooding.

Dr. Andreas Klippe, President and CEO of Flood Control Asia RS Corp.

A total of 80 percent of the grant will be shouldered by the Federal Republic of Germany, and the remaining 20 percent by Flood Control Asia RS Corp.

Choosing the grant recipients involved extensive studies on their flooding conditions, especially when the delivery of basic health services is severely hampered during floods, Dr. Klippe said during the project launch and press conference held last week.

Both the PGH and the JCPMDH passed the selection criteria set by Flood Control Asia RS engineers.

German Ambassador to the Philippines Anke Reiffenstuel, Bataan Governor Albert Garcia and Dinalupihan Mayor Maria Angela “Gila” Garcia were present during the launch. 

Dinalupihan Mayor Maria Angela Garcia

Governor Garcia thanked the German government for the grant. By making the JCPMDH flood-free, he said the hospital will become more efficient and responsive to the health-care needs of Bataan’s residents.

Bataan Governor Albert Garcia

During heavy rainfall, the JCPMDH’s surrounding area is submerged in flood waters by an average of 1.5 meters, and even up to 0.5 meters inside the hospital buildings.

This situation makes it virtually impossible for doctors and other hospital staff to effectively deliver quality medical care to patients, especially those that require critical treatment, according to Engr. Enrico Yuzon, Provincial Engineer of Bataan.

Flood Conrol Asia added that the Detailed Engineering Assessment for the PGH project was already completed a few weeks after the launch. Flood Control Asia said preparation of the flood barriers are underway at the company’s production plant and will be installed soon.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Next Post

Ramp up "Plant, Plant, Plant" implementation - Salceda

Sat Jan 23 , 2021
House Ways and Means chairperson Albay 2nd District Rep. Joey Sarte Salceda has urged the Department of Agriculture (DA) to strengthen the implementation of the “Plant, Plant, Plant” program as food prices continue to soar and to ensure that the production and transport of food remains unhampered in the country. […]

Follow Us

%d bloggers like this: